Whether it’s due to a growing business or a search for better user experience and customer service, many tax professionals end up switching tax prep software at some point in their career.
Switching software inevitably comes with a host of questions about the process itself and the products you can choose from. Here are five of the most common:
1. How is my client tax data transferred?
Data integration is a top concern for most tax preparers when switching software. Most tax preparation software can integrate your client data from other programs, but some make the process easier than others.
All TaxSlayer Pro products offer easy-to-follow instructions and intuitive software that integrates and formats your client data correctly.
Depending on how many clients you have, data integration may take awhile. But, after the first few steps, it’s usually a hands-free process. After your information has been downloaded and integrated, you’ll be given a chance to review your data and make sure everything has transferred accurately and completely.
2. Will customer support help my transition?
If your new software is tough to navigate alone, responsive customer support is essential. If you don’t want to lose valuable working hours to troubleshooting, you’ll want a knowledgeable,easy-to-reach customer service team.
It’s difficult to fully assess customer support until you’ve actually worked with them, but customer reviews and testimonials are a great place to start. Another sign of great customer support is a business that has separate customer service and customer success teams.
Customer service is devoted to helping you set up and troubleshoot your software, while customer success focuses more on helping you grow your business by getting the most out of your software. That’s why each TaxSlayer Pro user is paired with a Customer Growth Team member who is dedicated to helping them succeed.
3. Do I need desktop or cloud-based tax software?
You might consider switching from desktop to cloud-based for the following reasons:
- You need to work across multiple devices or locations
- You don’t like dealing with software updates.
- You find backing up your data to be a hassle.
And switching from cloud to desktop-based might be a good move for you if:
- You have an office with its own network server. Unlike cloud-based tax preparation software, desktop-based software is usually network capable.
- You need corporate tax software. Sometimes, it’s easier to find this is in desktop-based software.
- You want additional features like client retention databases, marketing materials, and virtual tax office assistants. TaxSlayer Pro Premium offers features like these and more to help you run and grow your practice.
4. Does this software partner with bank products?
If bank products are already a part of your tax prep business, you know how much of an asset they are. Because clients can have your fee deducted from their refund, you can offer your services at no upfront costs, giving you an edge over other tax preparers. Consequently, bank product integration is a high priority for many tax preparers looking to switch software.
While you can pay for and use bank products separately from your tax prep software, they’re more expensive and harder to use this way. That’s why TaxSlayer Pro offers integrated bank products that work within your software, simplifying your workflows and making you more efficient.
5. How do I know if I’m choosing the right software for my business?
If you’re trying to switch tax prep software, you’re probably not happy with your current software. Whether you’re switching because of price, poor user experience, or challenges with customer support, the last thing you want is to run into the same problems with your new software.
Free trials and software demos are a great way to test the product before you commit. You’ll get a chance to use the interface, explore the features, and interact with customer service.
Our team would love to help you find the software that’s right for your business and make your transition as seamless as possible. Get in touch with us today and learn how TaxSlayer Pro makes switching tax software easy.
This article was last edited on July 27, 2021.