Tax season has begun, but in less than one week the IRS officially opens. As a result, you can expect to see more traffic, more calls, more everything as people begin to pull their files together and search for tax preparers. Before it becomes overwhelming, we want to make sure you have all the pieces in place to have a successful tax season. It’s time to do one last check to make sure you are ready and your operation is secure.
Use this list to do one final check before the IRS opens on January 23.
- Update your My Account and complete any bank applications.
- Download the 2016 TaxSlayer Pro software.
- Validate your e-services identity. If you received notification in the mail, you can register via www.irs.gov/transcript or calling 1-866-255-0654.
- Familiarize yourself with EITC, CTC and AOTC and due diligence requirements. The same goes for tax law changes.
- Test equipment, internet connection and applicable software.
- Be sure you have implemented all necessary security measures to keep your data and customer’s data secure.
- Password protect your computers.
- Use different password for work and home.
- Dedicated a computer for work purposes only.
- Don’t leave documents lying around.
A complete checklist for your office can be accessed via My Account. For more information on many of the above mentioned topics, check out our blog.