Back to List

Category: Tax Questions

Amending An Individual Tax Return

Amended returns, filed on Form 1040X, are used to make corrections to a previously submitted and accepted tax return.  An amended return can be done for any tax year, however, if a change to a taxpayer's return requires the IRS to give them a refund, the changes must be made using Form 1040X within 3 years of the original return's due date, or 2 years from the date the return was paid, whichever is later.  If the taxpayer owes money to the IRS, the tax return can be amended for any year using form 1040X.  While most filing statuses can be changed with an amended return, changing from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separate can not be done after the original due date.

To file an amended return in the TaxSlayer Pro Program, begin with the original tax return as it was sent to the IRS.  If you did not file the original tax return, you can choose to either recreate the incorrect tax return in order to pull the information to the amended return, or you can just do the corrected return and manually enter the original information on Form 1040X.

Select the links below to show/hide additional information:

 Amending All Tax Years EXCEPT 2009

 Amending A 2009 Return

 Inputting The Amount Paid On The Original Return On Form 1040X

 Form 1040X Mailing Addresses

NOTE: This is a guide on entering a 1040X into TaxSlayer Pro.  This is not intended as tax advice.

Additional Resource

Instructions for Form 1040X - Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Last Updated: 3/12/2018

Email Article