As you’re getting ready for tax season, it is important to make sure your computer is operating as efficiently and securely as possible. TaxSlayer currently supports running the TaxSlayer Pro on Microsoft Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 and supports both the Home and Pro editions of these operating systems. We recommend, however, that you run TaxSlayer Pro on Windows 10 Pro. Why? It’s simple; Windows 10 is more secure.
Primarily we recommend Windows 10 Pro for its updated security features. While Windows 7 and 8.1 have been successful operating systems, Windows 10 Pro has security features that are missing from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Now more than ever, tax professionals must focus on security threats that aim to harm their businesses and their clients. The Windows 10 operating system was designed to combat new age security threats by implementing features to assist with Identity Protection, Data Protection and Device Security.
These features include:
- Hardware-based security which aims to maintain system integrity and is more efficient than the platform security Windows 7 offered
- Device Guard which has heightened Windows 10’s resistance to security threats by offering desktop protection, application verification prior to running and increased malware resistance
- UEFI Security Boot that helps keep malware from embedding into your hardware
- Enterprise Data Protection which aids in Data Loss Protection (DLP) and allows file encryption
- BitLocker has been improved on Windows 10 and helps with disk encryption
- Microsoft Passport helps protect your identity by offering multi-factor authentication as a password alternative
Another reason we recommend Windows 10 is that Microsoft will end for Windows 7 in January of 2020. Microsoft will also drop support for Windows 8.1 in January of 2023. When Microsoft drops support for an operating system, so does TaxSlayer. We advise you to take these deadlines into account when planning your computer system upgrades.
If you are considering upgrading your operating system or other computer hardware, please also review TaxSlayer Pro’s minimum and recommended system specifications.
Call Technical Support at 706-868-0985 to discuss the benefits of running Windows 10 or to answer any other questions you may have about TaxSlayer Pro tax software.