What information do you need to get your PTIN?
The IRS released new regulations stating that all paid preparers must have a PTIN
in order to prepare tax returns. Now that the IRS has the regulations in place many
paid preparers, as well as Enrolled Agents, are working towards getting their PTIN.
For preparers that have a PTIN, they will need to renew their current PTIN. However,
if you don’t have a PTIN you should follow our checklist before you apply for your
PTIN. Once you have what you need to get started on your PTIN application, simply
follow our instructions below to apply for your PTIN:
- Social Security Number
- Personal information (name, mailing address, date of birth)
- Business information (name, mailing address, telephone number)
- Previous year’s individual tax return (name, address, filing status) 1
- Explanations for felony convictions (if any) 2
- Explanations for problems with your U.S. individual or business tax obligations
(if any) 2
- Credit or debit card for the $64.25 PTIN user fee
- If applicable, your supervisor’s PTIN (view the Notice 2011-6 fact sheet for more information)
- 9. If applicable, any U.S.- based professional certification information (CPA, attorney,
enrolled agent, enrolled retirement plan, enrolled actuary, certified acceptance
agent, or state license) including certification number, jurisdiction of issuance,
and expiration date
1 Tax return information is required to authenticate your identity. If
you filed your tax return in the past 8 weeks, please use a previous year’s individual
2 Felony convictions and discrepancies with your federal tax obligations
may affect your ability to obtain a PTIN
If you already have a PTIN, you will not be asked to enter it in this new application.
You may or may not get the same PTIN at the end of the sign-up process.
If you have all your information, follow these easy steps to obtain your PTIN online:
Apply for a PTIN
- Create an Account and apply for your PTIN
on the IRS website — Provide your name, email address, and security question
information. The system will email you a temporary password, which you will change
once you log back in to enter your information in the PTIN application.
- Pay your PTIN Application Fee- Pay
your application fee of $63.00 by credit card or direct debit.
- Get Your PTIN- After your payment
is confirmed, your PTIN will be provided to you online.
- What to do next- After you obtain
your PTIN, you will receive a welcome letter and information about next steps including
testing and continuing education requirements (if applicable).